Dr. Nigel Haig (1938 -2016) learnt to ring at the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Cobham, Kent taught by Sid Wood, the village blacksmith, in the 1950’s.
With other ringers he enjoyed ringing at various Kentish towers and learning a new method each week. He is recorded as ringing a peal of Grandsire Triples, conducted by George J. Butcher, at Frindsbury in 1961 and while at Edinburgh University he rang at the Cathedral Church of St. Mary’s.
With a busy scientific career and a happy family life Nigel found varying amounts of time for other interests such as serving as a parish councillor, collecting old tractors, flying and choral singing.
In retirement Nigel could devote more time to ringing and was a stalwart member of the Cobham band of ringers. Tower records show him ringing a number of quarter peals on special occasions. In 2008 he rang a “Noughty” quarter at the age of 70 when all the other younger ringers too were starting a new decade in their own lives. Nigel enjoyed more advanced method ringing at Meopham together with their annual outings and dinners, and on their bells rang a quarter peal of Stedman Triples.
Failing health curtailed Nigel’s activities but he never gave up his ringing. With courageous determination he climbed the spiral tower stairs to the Cobham ringing room and was a most valued member of our small band. He rang, as usual, with us on Palm Sunday and died just a fortnight later in this season of Eastertide.
A quarter peal of Stedman Doubles will be rung at Cobham on the early evening of Sunday, 17th April, as we know he would have wished, in thanksgiving for Nigel’s life.
His Funeral will be held at Cobham Church on Thursday, 21st April 2016 at 2 o’clock. Open ringing will commence 45 minutes before the Service, and there will be further ringing after the Committal in the Churchyard.
His many ringing friends will ensure the bells ring out loud and clear across his village in celebration of the life of Nigel Haig.