Here’s the monthly roundup of news from your Lewisham District.
The first Practice Plus!
Thank you to all who came and supported the first of the new format Practice Plus Business Meeting in January. 24 members met at Hayes and enjoyed a really useful practice with touches ranging from call changes to London Minor. Thanks to Graham Long for hosting, and for providing an ideal room for the Business Meeting. Draft minutes are at https://kcacr.org.uk/lewisham-district/minutes/, subject to adoption at the April meeting. The new shorter format seemed to be successful, but please do keep the feedback coming – it is appreciated, and we promise we do listen to it all.
Next event is a “normal” District Practice at Horton Kirby on Saturday 11th February – 10.00am – 12.00 noon. The recommended pub afterwards is The Bull, just around the corner from the church – they do great food and there’s no need to pre-book https://www.thebullhortonkirby.co.uk/. As usual the practice will cater for all abilities from rounds upwards, so we hope to see you there! The calendar for the rest of the year is at https://kcacr.org.uk/lewisham-district/events/ or pdf here
- Details for the District Call Change and Striking competitions – planned for Saturday 20th May – should be published very soon.
- The County 8-bell striking competition will be held as part of a planned Festival of Ringing on Saturday 17th June in the Ashford District, provisionally at Lympne.
- There was a discussion at the January Business Meeting about the various County competitions, notes are in the minutes linked above. If you have any views that weren’t already made at the Business Meeting, please do let David have them at or before the Horton Kirby practice – .
Firsts and Footnotes
A few notable achievements and footnotes from around the District in January from BellBoard:
- First quarter peal – Alison Jones, tenor behind to 1260 Doubles at Sidcup
- First treble dodging – Peter Norwood, treble to 1260 Cambridge and PB Minor at St Mary Cray
- First in the method and completes the Standard 8 Surprise Major to quarter peals – Ann Saunders, 1344 Bristol at Beckenham
- First blows in method – Becca Hardy, 1344 Cooktown Orchid Delight Major at Bromley
- First Minor inside – Peter Norwood, 1260 Plain Bob at St Mary Cray
- Most methods to a quarter and to a peal – Ross Hartley, 16-spliced Major at Bromley and Eltham respectively
- Circled the tower to peals – Dickon Love at Bromley Parish
- Circled the tower to quarter peals – Svetlana Sokolova at St Mary Cray
- And on handbells… First on 8 inside – Ann Saunders, 1296 Plain Bob Major at Bromley
Congratulations to Eltham ringers Tom and Tiffany on the birth of Adam Joseph Kelly Baird, marked with quarter peals at Eltham and Bromley.
Finally, a special mention and thanks must go to those who rang for Ros Farmer’s funeral at Foots Cray, including this quarter peal.
Well done all – sorry if we’ve missed anyone!
Ruth & Nigel