Ringing and chiming
- Ringers should not enter the church or tower for chiming, ringing or any other
purpose under any circumstances unless they are the one “appointed person” for
that church as defined by the guidance from their Diocesan Bishop.
- Not more than one bell should be rung under current church guidance and only by the “appointed person”.
- Care should be taken to ensure all clock hammers and any external chiming
hammers are pulled off before either chiming or ringing.
- Always refer to both Church of England and local Diocesan guidance for more detail.
For those who are “appointed persons” and wish to chime or ring a single bell:
- Sanitizer should be applied to the hands and allowed to dry fully before and after ringing activities.
- No other substance than hand sanitizer should be applied to the hands before ringing, including spitting on or licking the hands
Maximum numbers of people in a ringing room
- No person other than the appointed person should enter the tower at any time and especially during chiming.
May 11th 2020